Employers have several obligations under the Ontario Health and Safety Act. Macleod Law Firm has been advising businesses on the following duties for over 20 years:
1. The obligation to prepare an occupational health and safety policy: Did you know that a copy of the Ontario Health and Safety Act and this policy must be posted in the workplace?
2. The obligation to prepare and post a workplace harassment and workplace violence policy if there are six or more employees: Did you know an employer is required under the Ontario Health and Safety Act to review these policies annually?
3. The obligation to establish a joint health and safety committee if there are 20 or more employees: Did you know that only non-managerial employees can elect the worker representatives? Or that all members of this committee are required to be be certified by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board?
4. The obligation to take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances for the protection of the worker: Did you know that every director and officer of a corporation shall take all reasonable care to ensure that the corporation complies with Ontario Health and Safety Act and if not are subject to a fine up to $ 25 000 and/or imprisonment for up to 12 months?
5. The obligation not to use prescribed hazardous materials unless they are identified, material safety data sheets exist, and worker training and instruction requirements are met? Did you know that under the Ontario Health and Safety Act an employer is required to inform a worker if he or she is working with hazardous materials?
6. The obligation to provide a worker with a safe place if the worker refuses to work because of unsafe working conditions: Did you know that under the Ontario Health and Safety Act an employee is entitled to be paid for the time he or she spends waiting for the investigation into the work refusal to conclude?
For more detailed look and some examples, please view our presentation:
If you have a question regarding the Ontario Health and Safety Act or occupational health and safety and want to speak to a lawyer from MacLeod Law Firm, click here
If you want to know what to expect if you contact MacLeod Law Firm, click here
The MacLeod Law Firm has been practicing labour and employment law for over 20 years. Through our offices in Toronto and Barrie we would be happy to help.